Installing cabinets can be a big project. Whether it’s in your kitchen, bathroom, or another place, it takes patience, precision, and preparation. However, we believe you can really do it yourself with clear instructions, ample time, and the right tools! Trussell’s Transformations has years of experience in the cabinet industry so we know a thing or two about cabinet installation. Not only does a DIY cabinet installation save you lots of money, but it allows you to create your space the way you absolutely want.
Here are some questions to consider from our expert perspective.
Is DIY Installation Allowed?
This may seem like an odd question, but many people don’t know that not all cabinet manufacturers allow do-it-yourself cabinet installation.
As a general rule:
- Custom shops that build the cabinets usually require that they do the installation.
- Big box stores like Home Depot and Lowe’s will allow DIY installation.
- Internet orders require that you do it yourself or hire a third party.
Trussell’s Transformations is the exception to this rule. We encourage DIY cabinet installation but also have a team of installers that can do the job for you.
What is your skill set?
As mentioned before, cabinet installation requires patience and precision. It’s important that you have these skills and more before tackling your own DIY cabinet installation. Consider these essential skills before any do-it-yourself cabinet installation.
- Understanding fractions and being familiar with a tape measure is crucial as you’ll be required to add and subtract measurements when laying out cabinets.
- Proficiency with power tools or the know-how of saws, drills, and other tools that are needed for the installation.
- Attention to detail to assure each piece is put into place.. perfectly. It’s often easy to tell a project done by a cabinet maker from a construction framer due to the care and meticulous precision.
- Ability to follow directions is critical. Laying out a cabinet can be complicated, as it requires taking into consideration appliance widths and where cabinet filler strips will be needed.
If you have these skills or are willing to take the time to learn them, you are in the right direction for your own DIY cabinet installation.
Do you have the right tools?
Cabinet installations usually require more tools than most home projects. The good news is that you may already own or at least have access to the majority of these tools. Check out this short list of tools that we recommend:
- Cordless Drill and Bits
- Essential for hanging and assembly
- Jig Saw or Hole Saw Bits
- Used for cutting holes for wiring, outlets, and various plumbing lines and hoses
- Measuring Tape
- A measuring tape will be your best friend. Trust us on this one.
- 6 Foot Level
- Ensures cabinets are properly spaced over gaps like ranges, sinks, and other areas
- Stud Finder
- Know where you’re drilling before you start, you want to be drilling into studs, not plumbing or utility lines.
- Trigger Clamps
- Allows you to hold cabinets in place to level and space before drilling.
Once you have these tools, it’s important to also familiarize yourself with how they work. This will help you operate safely and efficiently.
Can you lift the weight?
It’s easy to get overambitious with home projects. When it comes to self-installed cabinets, you need to be able to not only lift cabinets into place but also hold and screw them into place. Quality cabinet construction from Trussell’s Transformations is built to last for years with first-rate materials. This means that our typical cabinet can weigh over 50 pounds. Be sure that you or the ones helping you are able to carry the weight of DIY cabinet installation.
Are you able to transport?
Depending on the size of the project obviously impacts how many cabinets will need to be moved. Will they fit through doorways, up or down stairways, and through hallways? Will you be able to store them in your house while you install them? Do you have transportation or will you need to rent a covered truck for all this? These are important questions to ask yourself before you tackle your own cabinet installation project.
Many of these problems are calculated into installation costs and can be quoted upon request. If you have questions about transportation, make sure to discuss them with a cabinet professional from Trussell’s Transformations.
Do you have a time constraint?
Cabinet installation, depending on your experience, can either take a weekend (if you’re a pro) or a week (if you’re just learning). Be sure to know the timeframe of your project and plan accordingly. If you are working around anyone or anything, like a flooring crew, you may need to adjust your approach.
It’s safe to say that an installation takes about 1-1.5 hours per cabinet “box.” Most kitchens start with at least 10-12 boxes so once you do the math, you have a rough estimate of how long to expect for your cabinet installation.
Now that you know the in’s and out’s of DIY cabinet installation, we’ll let you answer this– Can you install cabinets yourself? The answer is yes! With Trussell’s Transformations cabinets and the knowledge you now have, you’re well on your way to a beautiful, sleek, and smooth cabinet installation project.
The best part? You now saved yourself thousands of dollars and you can enjoy the fruits of your own labor.
Have any questions about a do-it-yourself cabinet installation? Contact us today at Trussell’s Transformations.